I've had quite the southern meal with Brian tonight. We had a "veggie" night dinner. Brian called it a "meat and three minus meat." He enjoyed it. This veggie meal was inspired from our visit to Pepper Place Saturday morning. This is one of my all time favorite things to do in the summer in Birmingham. It's a farmer's market that runs only in the summer months and ends in October. (I can't wait for the pumpkins! More on that in a month or so.) We had to go get some tomatoes as they are about to be out of season. I also ran across some delicious green beans. These beans brought me back to my childhood. I can still remember sitting at the kitchen table with my grandmother snappin' beans. Brian was totally unaware of this process (as you know Huntsville is in the north) :) so I had to show him how it's done.
So this post is about Tomato Pie. I should quit rambling about beans. This recipe is thanks to my mother. I watched her make one at home, and I've been dying to try it since.
Tomato Pie
Ingredients:
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 9-inch pre-baked deep dish pie shell
1 chopped green onion
1 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
basil
salt and pepper
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
First, blanch the tomatoes and slice. Place the tomatoes in a colander to drain.
Using a medium bowl, mix mayo, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt and pepper.
Layer the tomato slices around to pie shell.
Sprinkle the basil and onion on top of tomatoes. I could just stop right here and dig in. How deliciously red are those tomatoes? YUM!
(Please notice the top of the pie crust is missing. Brian can't resist any dough in the kitchen!)
Spread the mayonnaise and cheese mixture on top of the tomatoes.
Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.
Our "veggie" meal.
Tomato pie, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans snapped by our own hands, and corn casserole. Thanks for reading Y'ALL! :) ha ha. I just had to. (So cheesy I know.)
2 comments:
Haha- I love the "y'all" at the end of the post! This looks delicious! Can't wait to try this recipe!
Nice writeup, Calley. Hooray for tasty vegetable dinners (especially those featuring red, ripe tomatoes)! I must gently correct your Southern grammar and usage, however. Clearly, your blog boasts a large fan base, with numerous individuals enjoying your posts; thus, I believe the proper construction is: "Thanks for reading, all a' y'all!"
Post a Comment